Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Second Reflection Journal

The last few months have been filled with emotion and uncertainty on the global frontier and education arena.  Teacher lay offs, earthquake and uneasiness about graduation have had me wondering and pondering about what the next few months will entail.  The great thing is that I can always count on my fellow comrades in the struggle to keep me informed, even as I lag in staying abreast of what's happening on a daily basis.

I recently contributed my thoughts abroad to Bra Phil at Die Akte James Knopf.  Phil and I have known each other for a while and he is constantly updating his blog with info about issues of race, class and socialization in Germany.  Phil's blog was entitled "Enter the BioRacial Neo Muslim".  This conversation was important for me because it speaks about the current topic of racial identity and discrimination currently being discussed in Germany as it relates to the Muslim community there.  I plan to keep my students abreast of global issues of social justice and Bra Phil is always current with these discussions in Germany.

If I were working with my students, I would have them remain in touch with this discussion by visiting other bloggers on Bra Phil's list and comparing/contrasting the arguments being made on these sites.  I would also have them parallel arguments with ones being portrayed in online news media or with other popular newspapers online.  Often, the ideas of bloggers counter the popular consensus of media outlets.  It is important for students to know what all points of view are in a debate or discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment